Thousands of men and women meet online daily. While online dating has expanded the dating universe like never before; a few bad guys fly under the radar and try to scam innocent people.
While scams asking for money are more common in online dating, you should be aware of other fraudulent practices such as identity theft.
Identity Theft Warning Signs
- The US Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft site
- The National identity theft information and help website for the UK.
- Guide for Identity Theft Victims
Identity Theft and Fraud Legislation
- US Info – Identity Theft and Assumption Deterrence Act 2003 –
- UK Info – Personal data protected by Data Protection 1998
Protection against fraud by Fraud Act 2006
- Canada Info – Section 403 of the Criminal Code of Canada discusses fraud. Each province and territory also has its own privacy law for use and storage of personal data.
- Australia Info – At the federal level, the Criminal Code Amendment (Theft, Fraud, Bribery & Related Offences) Act 2000 discusses fraud. Each individual state and territory also has its own privacy laws.