In the unfortunate event that you or your family becomes a victim of domestic violence, you should seriously consider getting help. Domestic violence goes against the basic human rights every human being is guaranteed.

If you are married and living overseas, it is possible to separate from your abusive spouse and keep your visa and legal status even as an immigrant woman.

The United States, United Kingdom, Australia and Canada and several other countries have domestic violence provisions in their immigration policy to protect immigrants who are subjected to domestic abuse.

Getting Help


If you know someone who is a domestic violence victim and are not quite sure how to help, the New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence has an excellent guide for friends and family of abuse victims and how they can help a victim. The guide is also available in Arabic, Chinese and Russian and can be downloaded and printed out.

The US-based National Domestic Violence Hotline also has some advice on how you can help a friend or family member who is a victim of abuse.


Several international organizations are campaigning for a violence-free world and can be a helpful starting point for those looking for more information or help.


Organizations across the world work hard to help victims of domestic violence victims whether it be by providing them with basic information or helping them move on with their lives. Below is a list of help lines & organizations that you might find useful.

  • If you are in an Asian country, click here for a list of help resources
  • If you are in Australia, click here for a list of help resources
  • If you are in Canada, click here for a list of help resources
  • If you are in Europe, click here for a list of help resources
  • If you are in the UK, click here for a list of help resources
  • If you are in USA, click here for a list of help resources


Helpline: 1-800-363-9010 – National Domestic Violence Hotline


One of the main concerns for a DV victim is often there is a child involved and they want to ensure the child’s safety should the victim leave the abuser. Leaving the abuser also raises the issue of child custody and who would be granted custody in the case of such a separation. This is a complicated situation and the best thing for you to do is to get in touch with an experienced lawyer who can help. If you are unable to access a lawyer, call your local DV hotline and they can guide you about what you should do.

Helpline: 91 574 01 10 – El Centro de Asistencia a Víctimas de Agresiones Sexuales


Helpline0808 2000 247 – 24 hour Domestic Violence Helpline
: 0300 999 5428 – Broken Rainbow Helpline for LGBT victims

         : 0844 8044 999 – National Centre for Domestic Violence
          : 0800 917 1414 – Northern Ireland Women’s Aid Federation
08 08 80 10 800 – Welsh Women’s Aid
: 0800 027 1234 – Scottish Women’s Aid


Helpline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) – National Domestic Violence Hotline
       : 1-800-656-HOPE – National Sexual Assault Hotline
      : (888)-883-2323 – The National Jewish Domestic Violence Hotline
: (800) TRY-NOVA – The National Organization for Victim Assistance
: (732) 435-1414 – Manavi Helpline
: (800)-621-HOPE – Safe Horizons Domestic Violence Hotline
: 1-866-USWOMEN – Americans Overseas Domestic Violence Crisis Center
International Toll Free Crisis Line